Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Ethnography – Why is it this way and not different?

Well, I learned the difference between ethnography and ethnology, the study of nations vs. the study of meaning. I never really knew or cared to know for that matter. I learned that the idea behind this project is very complex, the ethnographic study of a school is intricate weave of ideas and perspectives. Something that I had not really thought of up until this point was what need to be focused on? How much focus to give it? How my life experiences and opinions might affect the outcome of what it is that I am studying? We may be looking at something so commonplace and ordinary to use, but must fully explore the question for each and all observations; why is this the way it is?
Really the main thing that I took from this article is that ethnographic studies are great tools for asking open ended questions in order to better look at particular subjects in order to begin conversations of different perspectives. I agree that there is no way in which one of these studies could be seen as purely objective or some sort of higher academic research designed to give a specific analysis of said school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a damn message so I know your reading this...